Dublin Coddle is an Irish one-pot meal of tender potatoes, sausage and onions, slow cooked in broth to create a rich, filling stew, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or any cold, rainy weeknight.
Total Time: 3:15 hrs
Prep: 15 Minutes
Bake: 3 hrs
Makes: 4 Servings
Author: Amy Nash, House of Nash Eats
• 10 slices bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
• 1 lb. bangers or high quality pork sausages
• 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
• 2 onions, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rings
• Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, divided
• 2 cups beef broth
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Heat a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp, then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
3. Next, brown the bangers in the reserved bacon fat for a few minutes, just until they start to brown but not so they are cooked all the way through. Remove the sausages from the dutch oven and set aside. Discard any leftover bacon fat in the bottom of the dutch oven.
4. Layer half of the sliced potatoes on the bottom of the still hot dutch oven, then layer half of the sliced onions over the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle half of the bacon and one tablespoon of parsley on top. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and onions, seasoning with salt and pepper again and sprinkle with the remaining bacon and another tablespoon parsley. Nestle the browned bangers on top and pour the beef broth over everything.
5. Cover the dutch oven with a lid and place it in the oven. Bake for 3 hours, checking halfway through cooking to make sure the liquid hasn't all dried up and adding an extra cup of broth if necessary to keep about 1 inch of liquid covering the bottom of the pot at all times.
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of chopped parsley before serving. Dublin Coddle is very forgiving and can stand cooking an extra hour or two if you need it, and the leftovers are amazing the next day even.
Download Printable Version