Think beyond dairy to get the calcium your body needs.
For generations, we’ve been told that building strong bones was as easy as drinking a few glasses of milk each day. However, recent research suggests that milk might not be as effective at preventing fractures as we once thought.
Tammy Fouse, DO, general surgeon and fellowship-trained bariatric surgeon at Bingham Memorial’s Weight Loss Center, says these recommendations haven’t changed.
“The majority of the science,” Dr. Fouse says, “suggests that people should be consuming more dairy—not less—to get key nutrients like calcium and vitamin D that support bone and overall health.”
However, some might not be able to consume enough dairy to hit the recommended targets. Here are some nondairy sources to try:
- Fortified nut milks and orange juice. These drinks might contain as much—or more—calcium as milk.
- Green, leafy vegetables and fruits. Kale, collard greens, broccoli and bok choy are excellent options for calcium and magnesium, a key nutrient for bone strength and density. “In order to add more nutrition to each serving, I suggest cooking them down in a light olive oil,” Dr. Fouse adds. “And don’t forget vegetables such as carrots and potatoes and fruits such as figs and oranges.”
- Fortified breads and cereals. These are fortified with calcium and vitamin D, which helps absorb calcium.
- Fish canned with bones. Canned salmon and sardines are protein-rich sources for calcium and vitamin D.
- Beans. “For good sources of calcium and magnesium, add more French beans and chick peas to your diet,” Dr. Fouse says.
- Nuts and seeds. Almonds and sesame seeds are also great for boosting your calcium and magnesium intake, as well as dried pumpkin seeds, cashews, and pistachios.
Need Help with Your Weight Management?
If you’ve been unhappy with your weight for a while and are looking for a positive solution, the Weight Loss Center at Bingham Memorial might be right for you.
Tammy Fouse, DO, general surgeon and fellowship-trained bariatric surgeon at Bingham Memorial’s Weight Loss Center, helps people take the first step on their weight-loss journey. She has seen patients return to a healthy weight so they can finally stop taking high blood pressure medications, put diabetes into remission, and even have a knee or hip replacement they were not able to have before.
Dr. Fouse will help you choose a nonsurgical or surgical weight loss solution. She sees patients in Idaho Falls, Blackfoot, and Pocatello. To schedule an appointment, please call: (208) 782-3993.
The first step to weight loss and a new you is having all of your questions answered, which is why we hold FREE informational seminars every month throughout Eastern Idaho. At the seminars, our weight-loss experts explain all the details of our program and former surgical weight-loss patients and other members of our program attend to provide insights and answer questions.
To find out when the next seminar is in your area, please call (208) 782-3993, or visit: www.BinghamMemorialSeminars.com/Weight-Loss