The Great American Solar Eclipse of 2017 is coming and everyone at Bingham Memorial Hospital would like our community to be as prepared as possible. Community safety and preparedness is extremely important to us.
The Solar Eclipse will be occurring this summer on Monday, August 21, 2017 from approximately 10:30 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. It is anticipated that between 100,000 to 1 million people will be visiting Idaho—in particular, Eastern Idaho along the I-15 corridor through Rexburg and Rigby, throughout the Tetons—and western Wyoming and Montana. Why? These areas have been scientifically calculated as the best locations to watch the solar eclipse. The surge of visitors will most likely begin Thurs., Aug. 17 or Fri., Aug. 18 and could potentially last until Tues. or Wed. of the following week.
A solar eclipse is a unique natural event. In fact, eclipse experts and enthusiasts deem anyone living in the eclipse path as “lucky.” At exactly 11:34 a.m. on 8/21, the moon will line up between the earth and the sun, blocking the sun from view. A shadow and eventual darkness will come upon our towns, mountains, and wide open spaces. In the middle of a summer day, viewers will be able to see stars in the sudden night sky, the temperature will significantly drop, and residents and visitors will experience what scientists and historians are calling the Great American Eclipse right here in Idaho.
Tips for Locals
Click here to download a copy of the stay-safe guide
We want all of our community and visitors to the area to enjoy this spectacular, once-in-a-lifetime event. But, we also want everyone to be safe and prepared for an unprecedented amount of visitors to the area, most likely reaching historic numbers. Here are a few things you can do:
- Fill up gas tanks earlier in the week to avoid having to use busy gas stations.
- Buy groceries well in advance and stock up so you have food and don’t need to be out and about when not necessary. Plus, supplies may be limited during the weekend.
- Cell phone towers may reach capacity because of so many people in the area over the weekend. As a result, cell phones may not always work and even texting may be delayed. Like cell phones, the internet networks may go down, or have limited service.
- Have an emergency radio and battery supplies on-hand.
- 9-1-1 and dispatch will likely be overwhelmed. Only call 9-1-1 if it is an emergency. Expect increased response times due to traffic congestion and limited resources.
- Private subdivisions concerned about trespassing or illegal street parking should contract a private security company now.
- Businesses near public gathering areas should secure their Wi-Fi networks.
For up-to-date information on the Solar Eclipse 2017, we recommend some of the following websites:
Eastern Idaho Eclipse (8.21.2017): http://eieclipse.com/ (Eclipse news, camping & lodging directory, events throughout the weekend, and merchandise for sale. Sponsored by the Greater Idaho Falls Chamber of Commerce, City of Idaho Falls, Post Register, and Museum of Idaho.)
NASAs Official Website: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/
City of Idaho Falls Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/IdahoFallsGov/
Eastern Idaho Eclipse Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/eieclipse/
Teton Eclipse: http://tetoneclipse.com/ (The official eclipse-dedicated site of the Town of Jackson and Teton County, Wyoming.)
Eastern Idaho Public Health Website: https://eiph.idaho.gov/2017%20Eclipse/2017Eclipsemain.html
National Eclipse: http://nationaleclipse.com/
Jefferson County Official Website: http://www.co.jefferson.id.us/eclipse.php
Rexburg Eclipse: http://www.rexburgeclipse.com/
Code Red: Signup to receive code red texts
Medical Information: We’re always here for our community!
Bingham Memorial Hospital’s Emergency Room is always open 24 hours a day.
Bingham Memorial Hospital
98 Poplar Str.
Blackfoot, ID 83221
First Choice Urgent Care & Family Medicine
(across the street from McDonalds)
1350 Parkway Dr.
Blackfoot, ID 83221
Extended hours during week of eclipse: Thurs., Aug. 17 to Tues., August 22, open from 8 am to 10 pm.
Bingham Memorial Family Medicine (in Idaho Falls)
2375 East Sunnyside Creekside Plaza, Ste. F.
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
Extended hours during week of eclipse:
- Fri., Aug. 18th 8:00 am- 8:00 pm
- Sat., Aug. 19th 8:00 am-6:00 pm
- Sun., Aug 20th 8:00 am- 6:00 pm
- Mon., Aug. 21st 8:00 am- 8:00 pm